In this article, you’ll discover 4 tried and tested ways to fix airpods microphone not working step by step. Whether you are using 1st generation AirPods, Apple microphone on iPhone, or just another Windows 10 computer, this guide will help.
In fact, we’ll answer questions such as why the AirPods stop working, their causes, and possible methods to turn it on at the end of the article. So, if you want to discover more about microphone not working on Airpods solution, be sure to read this complete guide.
How to fix airpods microphone not working
Airpods are wireless earbuds developed by Apple Inc. that work with the help of Bluetooth connections. The first generation of Airpods was introduced on December 16, 2016. It is now in the second generation phase since March 20, 2019, & the old version is discontinued. According to sales data, Airpods cover 60% of the global wireless headphones market since their release.
Despite being so much popular, the Airpods might not work sometimes, which is rare unless they are externally damaged. Whether you are trying to connect AirPods to Windows 10, iPhone, or any mobile device, check their battery percentage first. Next, put them back in the case, charge them, and unpair the Bluetooth device from your gadget. Then, reconnect it when fully charged and examine whether it’s working or not. If it’s okay, good, if not, go ahead and try any of the following solutions.
Note: You must test the connected device with other microphones before going for these steps. Maybe, sometimes, there’s a problem with the source itself, not actually the Airpods.
1. Automatically switch Airpods – iPhone solution
In iPhone or similar apple mobile devices, there’s an option to switch the microphone settings. Here’s how to do it:
- Navigate to Settings > Bluetooth > Microphone
- Select “Automatically Switch Airpods”.
2. Set as default device – windows 10 solution
If you receive microphone not working windows 10 error, one of the common solutions is to switch to a default device. Check out the steps:
- Right-click “speakers and headphones” at the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
- Select “Sounds”
- Go to the “Playback” tab.
- Right-click on your listed AirPods name.
- Choose “Set as default device”.
More microphone-related solutions for Windows 10 are listed here.
3. Update Airpods Driver or Firmware
Windows OS uses drivers to function properly and iPhone uses firmware. Let’s start with updating iPhone firmware.
- First, check the version by navigating to Settings > General > About > AirPods.
- As a second step, identify the latest version through their official websites or Wikipedia page.
- After comparing the versions, connect your AirPods to the iPhone with high-speed internet connection access.
- Put it in the charging case without disconnecting the Bluetooth.
- Wait for around 25-30 minutes and it should update the firmware automatically.
Here’s how to update the Windows driver for AirPods:
- Press the hotkey “Windows + R”
- Execute: devmgmt.msc
- Grant administrator permissions if prompted. This opens up “Device Manager”.
- Now, find your AirPods driver. It could be under “Sound, Video, and Game Controller”.
- Right-click on the driver’s name and select update (uses internet connection).
Check out Microsoft’s official guide on updating drivers.
4. Reboot the device
Sometimes, rebooting or simply restarting the device might work. For iPhone users:
- Hold down the volume buttons and side power buttons together.
- Swipe right when “Slide to power off appears”.
- Wait until the device restarts.
Note: Don’t forget to read the conclusion.
A simple reason is that the default mic settings are changed and you need to switch back to AirPods as your input or output device. Similarly, a low battery charge and outdated AirPods firmware can also be the cause of its failure.
To test your AirPods microphone, connect it to an iPhone device. From the home screen navigate to head over to Utilities > Voice memos and select "Record". Then start speaking as the device will store your sound. Once done, tap on the stop button and play the recorded voice to test your AirPods microphones.
To clean your Airpods microphone, use a soft cloth that is purely dry and lint-free with no exposure to water or any form of liquids. A good tool could be a dry cotton swab but avoid sharp materials that could damage the surface.
To fix your AirPods pro microphone, clean up the surface dirt first. Then, unpair the Bluetooth device and try reconnecting it. Moving ahead, set the settings to "Automatically switch AirPods" as explained above. We can also update firmware and set it as the default input or output device to fix the microphone.
When the AirPod is stored in isolation for a long time, there’s a possibility of the dirt getting entered through them. Therefore, cleaning with a soft cotton swab is necessary. Now, the above solutions should help you fix airpods microphone not working. In case the problem persists, they might need replacement or hardware repair from a nearby Apple shop. Before leaving, tell us if you were able to fix the Airpods or not in the comments below. (See you there)
We are a website that provides android tips and tricks, apk downloads, PC troubleshooting guides, exam results, and news about all the technology things happening around. Thank you for visiting aim4slam.com